Hello all! Hope you had a fabulous weekend! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have an inkling of what I got up to this weekend! It’s a tradition for the last few years that the Hubs and I spend the Saturday after Labor Day at Flushing Meadows watching the US Open Tennis Tournament. Known as Super Saturday, it’s the Men’s Semi-Finals and features not one but two tennis matches and pretty much goes allllll day long!
I love going to the sem-finals because you get a chance to see some of the greatest players in the world take the court and strut their tennis stuff. Over the years we’ve seen Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal. It’s always an amazing day full of fun and surprises!
(Check out that awesome view of Manhattan from Arthur Ashe Stadium!)
Have I lost you already? Well, I’m the first to admit I’m not really a sports fan. I don’t like football (not even my college team!), even though my hometown team, the Patriots, do reasonably well. I like baseball but can’t sit and watch a game on TV. And it was not until high school that I even played a team sport (field hockey). But, tennis is different. I not only love watching tennis, I love playing tennis too! So in an effort to spread the love and find a more interesting way to photo bomb you with my Open pics, I’ve made a list of the Top Five Reasons to Love Tennis!
5. You don’t have to be a great player to enjoy getting out on the courts to hit the ball. Honestly, you would think with all the photos I most of me playing tennis in full tennis gear (i.e., a tennis dress and visor) and looking like I’m ready to smash the ball that I would be great at it. I stink. I’m not just saying this to be humble (really, I would tell ya if I was good). I really am not so great. Advanced beginner at best. My serves are really weak and I prefer the drop and hit method as opposed to the actual tennis serve and I often swing and miss the ball. But, as some rocker chicks once said I DON’T CARE! I LOVE IT! Really, its a fun game and great exercise even if you don’t play well.
4. The rules are not that complicated. Some sports are difficult to get the hang of both as a spectator and as a player. Tennis does have strategy and some more nuanced rules but the basic idea of keeping the ball in between the lines and hitting over the net on one bounce is pretty straightforward. The scoring system is the most difficult part, but once you got that down, your golden!
3. Tennis players are top athletes! I love, love, love watching the athletes play at the US Open. They embody so much strength, agility, power and endurance. While watching the match on Saturday, the commentator mentioned that Novak Djokovic has not had chocolate in years…years people!!! I can’t even go one day!! It’s all part of his training and he is the number one player in the world because of small decisions like that! They are truly impressive. There is so much focus on the men’s tennis but the women are just as great athletes. We caught the women’s double championship finals after the match (and moved down to noticeably better, courtside seats! :)) and to watch them play is just as amazing as watching the men.
Did I mention the two closest to the camera are both Australian? You don’t need to guess who we were cheering for. Unfortunately they lost but I’m sure they have plenty of matches ahead of them since they were born in 1995 and 1996 respectively… yeah.
2. It’s a social sport. Of course there is friendly (ish) competition between you and your opponent but after the match is over, it’s always nice to catch up for a bite or a drink! Doubles adds another layer of social fun. And watching the tennis is a really fun social activity. You could even meet the likes of these two characters.
1. Tennis is a first class experience! I have only three words for you. Moet Champagne Bar. Yeah, that’s how we roll at the tennis. Seriously, the food, drink, amenities and sponsors at these matches are great! I had two salads (!) while at the tennis: strawberry, spinach, goat cheese and almond and a peach salad with tomatoes, pistachios and more goat cheese. I mean, can you even!? Oh the Hubs prefers his moijitos with a real piece of sugarcane, thankyouverymuch!
Readers, do you like to watch or play tennis? Did you catch any of the US Open this year? What’s your favorite sport to watch in person? Your favorite on tv? Your favorite to play?