Hello friends!!! I’m baaaaack! While I can’t say I enjoyed leaving sunny, warm Australia and landing in cold, snowy NYC, I am happy to be home. I want to first thank all my guest posters for helping me out while I was away. They are the absolute best! In case, you missed the posts from Nicole, Allie, Kim, Nellie and Davida, you can catch up on them here, here, here, here and here. Thanks ladies!!
So, I have a confession… I ate and drank my way around Australia like it was nobody’s business. I just absolutely let loose and enjoyed myself. I managed to stay super active and ate a very healthy breakfast and usually a healthy lunch but when it came to eating out and enjoying myself, I didn’t hesitate. So now that I’m back and the holidays are over, it’s time to buckle down and get back into a healthy routine. This time of year many people commit or recommit to a healthy lifestyle and I’m jumping on that bandwagon. Last year I dedicated the month of January to being healthy and getting back on track with Jumpstart January and I am brining it back this year!
This month I’ll be posting tips, workouts and much more to help you get on track with a healthy lifestyle. I’ll also be posting my journey back to healthy living every Friday in my Food and Fitness post.
Today I have a few tips to kick off Jumpstart January. These tips can help you start thinking about how to get on track with your health and fitness goals. Enjoy!
– Plan. Planning is essential to healthy eating and exercise. Without a plan you are much more likely to let your emotions, hunger or level of energy influence your decisions. Meal planning for the week can help you stay on a healthy eating track. Check out my Week of Healthy Meals in a Day for more info on meal planning and prep. Also, make sure you schedule your workouts in just like you would an important meeting. This is a surefire way to ensure you stick with your exercise plan.
– Get inspired and sign up for a race. Training for a race you have already paid for is great motivation to stay on track with your fitness goals. If you are new to exercise, start with something relatively easy like a fun run 5k or if you are more experienced, try pushing yourself with a triathlon. Or try something new like an adventure race!
– Set some goals and try new things. It’s no secret that I love to be active and stay fit and part of my passion comes from constantly trying new things. Try a new class at the gym or buy a new fitness DVD. Heard of a new fitness trend? Give it a try! Not only will your waistline thank you, you’ll exercise your brain and increase your anticipation by trying something new!
– Commit to healthy eating. Like many healthy living bloggers, I preach the importance of indulgence in moderation so I’m not asking you to kiss pasta, chocolate and wine goodbye forever but we all need to set the reset button at some point. In the fall I did a detox that mainly consisted of eating healthy fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. This January, why not commit to a healthy eating plan? Your body will say thank you!
– Check back here for more info this month on ways to stay healthy and fit! Also follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest & YouTube with the hashtag #JumpstartJanuary for inspiration and check-ins!
Readers, are you committing to healthy living this month? What are your fitness goals for the year?
Welcome home! Though I’m sure that’s the last thing you want to hear 😉 I’m committing to eating a salad a day and so far so good! It actually feels awesome to be doing something proactive for my health instead of focusing on things to avoid. Love your tips!
so glad you had an amazing time and enjoyed every minute! dying to go to Australia. my goals for January are to continue my rigorous workout regimen, keep eating healthy, not drink much, and snowboard/salsa dance as much as possible (along with my regular workouts/running). gotta find alternative ways to stay active in the cold!
YES! A friend and I started our own little #jumpstartjanuary with a 30 day yoga challenge. We also plan to try some new things and of course stick to clean, healthy eats! Count me in for hashtags and updates this month 🙂
Welcome back! I am definitely committing to healthy habits this month and am looking forward to #JumpstartJanuary! My goals for this year are to continue with running, get my spinning certification and start teaching classes, and also continue with strength training.
PS – your review for JM Body Revolution has me very interested in trying it out – its on super sale on amazon right now too! 🙂
Welcome back Britt!! We missed you! I am so glad you took your time and had a blast with no reservations in Australia, that is what vacations are SUPPOSED to be! 🙂 You will be back on the ball before you know it!! 🙂 You are really good at planning meals and workouts!
My pleasure, so glad to hear that you had an awesome trip!! Yikes, coming back to New York when it’s sooo cold out must not have been fun huh??
I know exactly how you feel, because I’m feeling the same exact way! It’s so much fun to go out, drink and eat for a week or two, but then I can’t wait to get back to a nice, super healthy routine again. I think we’re so similar in our vacay styles too (not a surprise!) — I also ate really healthy breakfasts and was really active, but then at night, all hell broke loose and I drank 3 glasses of wine and ate dessert nearly every night over the holidays! Haaa, hey we have to live a little right?! 😉
Great information! I am committing to healthy living/eating this month but I’m taking it slow. When I make fast changes they don’t stick. I’m determined that by the end of 2014 I will have my eating under control and will be much healthier than I started.
Excellent workout as always. It's challenging, fun and easily one of my favorite workouts!
Fantastic class! Great technique pointers. Always new exercises to challenge oneself!
I am excited to take classes with Brittany in person this summer! I have followed Brittany online for some time. I particularly like the Barre and Pilates workout videos. Her workout techniques reflect current thinking and best practices. She supports all levels of fitness. Definitely worth a try!
Brittany is the BEST. She is inspirational, motivational and innovative. No two classes are ever the same. I'm sad when the summer classes end, but I'm looking forward to checking out her online classes this fall and winter.
My wife and I decided to give Balance Barre Fitness a try and we were not disappointed. We thought the classes would be pretty easy but were surprised at how rigorous they were. The class was great for working on our coordination and core strength. I don't get to many ...